So…if you were stuck on a desert island and could only bring one 10 song playlist, what songs would you include? Interesting question for FaceBook or another website.
But if you were going to get fit and stay fit on that island and could only bring five things, what would they be? This seems hypothetical – until you live through a pandemic. If you’re not lucky enough to have a fully equipped home gym, what pieces of equipment would you get? Here are a few suggestions:
- Medium weight kettlebell. Drop down 1 or 2 notches from what you’d swing overhead (53->44->35 or 35->25 or 20). Swings, bicep curls, tricep extensions, bent rows, weighted sit ups and many more options are available to you. Swing with one arm or two. Sumo deadlift high pulls with this weight are a perfect sub for rowing. With a ledge, you can rig a reverse hyper as a GHD sub.
- Jump rope – this is gonna be hard to do in the sand, so you’ll need to find somewhere fairly smooth and level to jump. This is your cardio machine when you don’t feel like doing running laps around the island or swimming laps back and forth to the reef.
- Pull up bar – This is a tough one to rig up. Maybe the Rogue portable bar hung from a tree branch. Maybe just find a tree branch. For your home gym, there are doorway options from companies like Warrior Shed that work very well. You can further set up some rings hanging from this bar for a full CrossFit setup.
- Two dumbbells – something you could do 15 unbroken DB thrusters with. Ideally different weights than your kettlebell (lighter). Shoulder presses, bi’s and tri’s, devil press, DB snatch and many other exercises are available to you. The weight range here would probably be 10-30 pounds depending on you.
- What would you bring? Whether you’re purchasing for travel or prepping for future potential lockdowns, maybe consider picking up a bit of equipment while its currently available and not sold out.